Starting in August 2003 I began an independent celebration of National Sandwich Month. I had started a sandwich blog called I ♥ Sandwiches the year before and for some reason it just sounded like a good idea. So every August I’d attempt to eat at least one sandwich every day.
It was fun and for some reason got some attention. But after 10 years of NSM and more than 350 sandwiches documented and consumed, it’s time to shut it down.
Two final things about the project: 1) I still love sandwiches; 2) I can say unequivocally that 10 years ago no one had ever heard of National Sandwich Month—and now everyone from Esquire to Serious Eats to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch to Zagat to CNN to Chicago Food Magazine to Food.com to LA Weekly to WGN to Yelp are covering it. And that’s just in the this year and the last.
I take full and complete credit for that. You’re welcome, bread council, or whatever trade association invented the pseudo-holiday. Celebrating National Sandwich Month in August is so much more fun that celebrating National Bread Month in November.
Thanks for the support!
Here are the archives at keaggy.com/sandwich (update: sorry, had to take the blog down in June 2016 due to WordPress hacker shits) and below, on Flickr:
- 2012 | Highlights: The Cheese & Branston Sandwich, The Okra & Calamari, and The Sardine & seaweed
- 2011 | Highlights: THE Prosciutto & Brie & Egg, The Lola Burger, The Fig & Chevre & Tomato & Basil & Prosciutto Sandwich, The Tomato & Avocado & Capers & Olive oil Sandwich
- 2010 | Highlights: The BLT with Avocado, The Tofu Bahn Mi, The Fried Green Tomato BLT, The Fig & Gorgonzola
- 2009 | Highlights: The Liluma Burger, The Cevapi, The Marinated Flank Steak Torta, The Filet o’ Riplets, The Tomato & Feta in Pita
- 2008 | Highlights: The Terrine Sandwich, The Awesomewich, The Crab Cake Sandwich
- 2007 | Highlights: The St. Paul Sandwich, The Caprese, The Brisket, The Armenian, The Monte Christo
- 2006 | Highlights: The Egg^2 Sandwich, The Grilled Portabella, The Beet & Goat Cheese, The Green Sandwich, The Fried bologna
- 2005 | Highlights: The Pan Bagnat, The Brie and Apples, The Strawberry & Banana on Banana Bread
- 2004 | Highlights: The Kraukaur, The Grilled Ham & Cheese, The Polish Sausage
- 2003 | Highlights: The Yellow Sandwich, The Tomato & Mozzarella, The Braunschweiger, The Ham & Tapenade